Saturday, February 5, 2011

Go Jump in the Lake!


BUT FIRST:  The answer to last week's question:  What inspired the picture of Dave in his wetsuit?  


THE 1984 MOVIE DUNE
Source

Kyle McLachlan as Paul Atreides/Muadib the first time he puts on his Fremen suit. They try to help him but he already has it on correctly.  They ask him how he knew what to do and he says:  "It seemed the proper way." (Without giving too much away, it's part of a prophecy).  I had hoped that the glowing blue eyes would be a helpful clue but I guess I was a little too obscure :P 


AND NOW, ON WITH THE SHOW!

Last year, around the month of May, we started thinking about getting in the all-important 'open water swim'.  When you train for a triathlon this is a crucial activity because it prepares you for the race in a way that pool swimming does not.

POOL = HAPPY!!






LAKE = SCAAAARRRRYYY!!








Ultimately, it came down to two choices if I was actually going to do this triathlon thing again:

Option A:




OR


Option B:




I chose Option B.


Thus garbed, I was ready to tackle the open water. (I momentarily wondered if I had been remiss in not buying the neoprene gloves as well.)  Nevertheless, I soldiered on.

Since we had been swimming at the pool, I had become confident in my mean doggie paddle breast stroke.  I had spent a lot of time working on keeping my legs from combing the bottom of the pool.  So, when I started swimming in the lake, I employed my usual kicking technique.  Dave took note.



He summoned my attention.


Y'all, I had never felt so comfortable swimming in all my years on this green Earth.  I fancied myself a fish to water. I answered:



Yup, it was *just* like that.


Here's the thing.  Neoprene has various unique properties.

PROPERTY #1
It's warm.

PROPERTY #2
It's, well...snug.

PROPERTY #3
It's rather buoyant.

So, while my body was insulated essentially in bath water, and bobbing along the lake, my neoprene-bootied feet were equally insulated and buoyant.  And so, while I was feeling all smooth and mermaid-y, *despite* the inability to inhale, my first open-water swim as observed by Dave (and quite a few rapscallion teens who were loitering on the dock) looked a lot more like this:



NEXT WEEK:  HOW TO DRINK AND RUN SIMULTANEOUSLY (WITHOUT CHOKING)... SERIOUSLY, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW??

14 comments:

  1. Love this!! You are the best at recreating your tri-ventures in awesome doodles! My hubby, the non-blog reader, always runs right over when he hears me giggling while on my laptop, asking if I'm reading "that chick's blog with the cartoons?" he loves you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cartoons too. Thanks for the good luck today! I love the mermaid pic. I try to feel mermaid-y while swimming too. PS- I can barely run and drink without choking. Usually I spill it all over myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this morning's laugh...keep it up...oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian: I <3 being "that chick with the cartoons" :D

    Meg: Can't wait to hear how your race went! Glad to know you share in my drinking problem.

    Aria's folks: Thanks Mom :D

    Laura: Thanks for the follow! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I heart comments. They give me warm tickles *giggle*

    What graphics tablet do you use, if you do use a graphics tablet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mollie, thanks for bouncing over! I actually just use an iPad to draw. There are a bunch of free apps you can download. I think the one I use is called Adobe Idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm the newest follower to your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your illustrations are hilarious! I am really going to enjoy following you training for the Triathalon :)
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie and TexaGermaNadian: thanks so much for following me ladies! Stay tuned...I'm working on a new post and I went to a pilates class tonight that will be 'reviewed' in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey girlie!!
    ohh my gosh I love this post! I am so excited I 'accidentally' clicked over to your blog, I'm loving it!
    I realllly like open water swimming..the ocean is my thing! i'm lucky because it gives me a good edge in Tri's!
    your drawings are too cute and made my day!
    I hope you have a great Thursday!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lizzy-I'm glad you 'accidentally' came here too :) Thanks for the very nice comments! I gotta say, I like the ocean too, you know when I've been lounging on the beach for hours and I waddle in knee-deep, then squeal like a 9 year old every time a wave hits me...yup, the ocean is great.

    In all seriousness, you must be one of the first out of the water with your love of open water swimming--that really is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see he is wearing the glasses inside the swimmingpool. That happened to me once when I was in Argentina. I had rented one of the apartments in Buenos Aires with a pool. I forgot I was wearing them and jumped into it. Of course I had to buy new ones, but it was funny!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, they're actually swimming goggles :) But, having to buy new glasses because you jumped in the pool with them on would be a pain!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and I always reply to each one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...